What are stinging insects?
Stinging insects are beneficial because of some species' ability to pollinate crops and plants and other species' ability to control nuisance insect populations because of their predatory feeding habits. Stinging insects are identified as flying insects with a stinger that extends from their backend. Some stinging insects are social and live together in large groups, while others are solitary, and their females create individual nests.
When stinging insects live outside and away from our homes, it is easy to appreciate how beneficial they are to the ecosystem. However, when stinging insects like hornets, cicada killers, and wasps move into our yards, their presence can put you and your family in danger, and they need to safely be removed. Pestco Professional Pest Control offers services to safely remove stinging insects from your Beaumont home.
Are stinging insects dangerous?
A stinging insect's ability to deliver painful, venom-filled stings makes them a significant danger to have living or spending large amounts of time in our yards.
Stinging insects seem to have one mission, to ruin any time you and your family want to spend outside trying to enjoy a barbecue, playing, or hosting a family gathering. These insects will swarm around you and make you worry as you try to avoid their unwanted stings.
The venom of stinging insects is powerful enough to trigger allergic reactions in people, sometimes allergic reactions that become so severe they are life-threatening. Not sharing your yard or home with stinging insects is in the best interest of you and your family.
Why do I have a stinging insect problem?
Stinging insects are drawn to properties for a variety of reasons, including that it will provide them with safe shelter and easy access to food.
Food sources that stinging insects regularly take advantage of include plant nectar, fruits, sweet foods, and sugary drinks. They're also drawn to meats and are regular visitors to grills and other outdoor cooking areas.
Standing water found in low-lying areas, clogged gutters, and containers like a watering can provide these pests with the water they need to survive.
Where will I find stinging insects?
Stinging insects build their nests in many places; where they make their nest largely depends on the species. Most stinging insects place their nests in sheltered spaces that protect them from predators and harsh weather conditions. Below is a quick overview of where our area's most problematic stinging insects like to build their nests.
- Cicada killers: These stinging insects also nest in the ground. Cicada killers usually nest in the soil in areas of direct sunlight that is near trees. Other common nesting sites include flower beds and the soil next to play structures, foundations, and sidewalks.
- Ground hornets: As their name suggests, these hornets create their nest in the ground. They will burrow into the soil to build their underground nest. Flowerbeds, the soil next to sidewalks and foundations, and yards are common nesting sites for ground hornets.
- Hornets: Most hornets build their nests out of a paper-like material. They are usually tear-dropped shaped and contain a single entry point. Hornets regularly place their nests on trees branches, on the branches of large shrubs, and under roof eaves.
- Wasps: Like hornets, wasps also build their nests out of a paper-like material though the shape of their nests tends to be more ball-like or resembles an upside-down umbrella and has a more open structure. Wasps like to build their nests in trees, under roof eaves, in the corners of windows, inside lofts, and behind wall voids in homes and garages.
If you discover a stinging insect nest on your property, stay safe by avoiding the area and reaching out to a professional for help removing it.
How do I get rid of stinging insects?
When stinging insects move into our yards and take over outdoor spaces, it can be extremely difficult and downright dangerous to eliminate them. To remove stinging insects in the safest manner possible, always reach out to a professional.
If you are looking to remove stinging insects from your Texas property safely, call us at Pestco Professional Pest Control. We are dedicated to our customers and provide honest, reliable pest control and superior customer service. Our professionals understand that residential and commercial pest control in Beaumont is not universal and that each property we serve has its unique needs.
Call us today to learn more about working together to remove stinging insect nests from your property through our Integrated Pest Management methods, and once again make it enjoyable to spend time in your backyard!
How can I prevent stinging insects in the future?
Use the following suggestions to make your yard less attractive to the various stinging insects that call the Beaumont area home:
- Regularly prune back tree limbs, shrubs, and bushes from your home.
- Keep grass cut short.
- Fill in ground holes as they develop in your yard.
- When eating outside, make sure to keep food covered.
- Keep outdoor eating and cooking areas free of spills and food debris.
- Reduce the amount of flowering vegetation you have planted near your home's high traffic areas like walkways, entrances, and sitting areas.
- Remove standing water from your property that can provide stinging insects with a water source.
- Keep caps on chimneys, mesh covers over vents, and seal other openings leading into your home to help stop stinging insects from being able to move into your home to build a nest.
To control stinging insects and other pests, contact Pestco Professional Pest Control today, for pest control you can trust.