What are termites?
Termites are wood-destroying pests. People commonly mistake termites for ants due to their appearance, but they are actually related to roaches. They are also important decomposers, helping to break down organic matter. Unfortunately, our homes can fall victim to termites.
Eastern subterranean termites and Formosan termites are two common species in the Beaumont area. The eastern subterranean species grows between ¼ to ½ an inch long and are creamy-white to dark brown. Formosan termites are a little over 1/2 an inch long and are yellowish-brown. Termites are no joke when they invade your home; let our experts get these pests out of your home!
Are termites dangerous?
Although they don’t spread diseases, termites can affect allergies and asthma due to the dust they produce. But the most pressing concern when it comes to termites is the damage they cause. If gone unnoticed, which is often the case, termites can cause extensive damage. In severe cases, termites can cause collapses. However, in less severe cases, they can still make a property unsafe for people due to how quickly they eat away at wood.
Formosan termites are particularly difficult to control. Once they infest a property, a colony can grow to hundreds of thousands of individuals.
Why do I have a termite problem?
These termites are attracted to water-damaged and decaying wood. Although older homes are more susceptible to these pests, newly built homes can also experience an infestation if they have leaks and drainage issues.
Another reason why your home might be attractive to these pests is if your foundation touches the soil and there are cracks for the termites to squeeze through.
Where will I find termites?
Both the species we’ve mentioned are subterranean termites, meaning they have contact with moist soil to survive. So instead of living in the wood they consume, they use mud tubes to travel between their nest in the soil and the food source. Mud tubes can usually be found around the foundation of a home.
How do I get rid of termites?
If you suspect termites are on your property, you should contact us at Pestco Professional Pest Control. We offer termite removal services in Beaumont, in which we:
- Inspect the interior and exterior, including the attic and basement. We look for active termites and conditions that attract these pests.
- Use treatments that vary depending on your needs. We use a reliable product called Termidor and baiting systems. We also offer pre-construction treatments that treat the soil and wood, providing preventative measures.
- Provide a termite warranty that includes an annual inspection and re-treatment if necessary.
For more information about our residential and commercial termite control services, contact us at Pestco Professional Pest Control.
How can I prevent termites in the future?
Once we treat your property for termites, you want to make sure there isn’t a reason for them to come back again. You can do this by using the following prevention tips:
- Remove any decaying wood on your property and replace any in your home.
- Identify and seal any entry points such as cracks in the foundation and create a barrier using crushed rocks between the foundation and soil.
- Address excessive moisture issues.
- Keep any stored wood away from your house and other buildings on your property.
For more advice on what to do about termites, reach out to us at Pestco Professional Pest Control.