Cockroaches are "unhygienic scavengers in human settlements," according to the World Health Organization. This is a description that pretty much sums up why it is a good idea to keep roaches out of your Beaumont home. It is likely that you already know this, it is common knowledge that pest roaches are dirty. If you're curious how dirty they are, or how much of a risk these insects may be, you'll find your answers here.
You'll also learn how to get rid of cockroaches naturally and how to keep cockroaches out of your home. Natural cockroach pest control in Beaumont may be achieved by using knowledge of how these insects behave. Let's take a look at how it works.
The Dangerous Diseases Cockroaches Are Known To Spread
Pest cockroaches are drawn to rotting organic matter, feces, and unsanitary conditions. Their unsanitary behavior brings them in contact with organisms that cause human disease. Some of the worst are salmonella, staphylococcus, streptococcus, cholera, dysentery, and typhoid fever.
It is important to understand the link between cockroaches and sanitation because it can help with the effective control of cockroaches. Pest roaches are attracted to trash receptacles, dirty cans and bottles, improperly mixed compost, fertilizer, pest waste, rotting plant debris, and other unsanitary things.
Common Types Of Roaches That Invade Homes In Beaumont
We have several pest roaches in our area. If you want to get control of roaches with natural control methods, it is helpful to learn important facts about common Beaumont roaches.
German cockroaches (Blattella germanica) are the worst. This species is difficult to exclude and can grow a large population in your home, even in dry conditions. American cockroaches, Oriental cockroaches, and smoky brown cockroaches are common roaches that prefer damp habitats and areas of high humidity. If you control perimeter moisture and reduce harborage, you can significantly deter these three roach species.
Five Simple & Effective Cockroach Prevention Tips
Now, it's time to apply what we've talked about so far. Here are five simple and effective ways you can prevent cockroaches from getting into your Beaumont home:
- Keep things clean. Cockroaches will be attracted to your property if they can find anything that is rotting. Store your garbage in covered containers to keep cockroaches from finding food sources inside. A covered trash receptacle will also keep cockroaches from breeding in your garbage and multiplying near your home.
- Pick up pet waste. If you have a dog that goes out in the yard to take care of business, it is essential to stay on top of cleaning that waste up. Animal waste is rich in nutrients that cockroaches desire. They'll eat dog, cat, and wildlife droppings for sustenance. It's gross, but true.
- Moisture control. Most pest roaches will be attracted to your property if it is damp or humid. A clogged or broken gutter can make your perimeter damp. Dense vegetation can block airflow and keep the sun from drying moisture in your landscaping. Maintain your gutters and keep your landscaping as dry as possible.
- Yard work. Many of the chores you do in your yard work to keep cockroaches away. Blow leaves out of your landscaping. Rake leaves up from your yard. Pick up dead branches. Move wood debris and stacked wood away from your exterior.
- Seal your exterior. Once you've done what you can to make your yard and perimeter less attractive to cockroaches, it is time to think about exclusion. Use a caulking gun to fill in holes and seal gaps. Replace weatherstripping if you find gaps around your exterior doors. Install door sweeps. Repair window and door screens. Seal cracks in your foundation. All of these will work to provide a physical barrier. While it is impossible to fully exclude cockroaches, this step can have a big impact.
Natural cockroach control is the best kind of control because it doesn't require the use of cockroach control products. If products are needed, it is best to have a licensed pest management professional handle the selection and application of these products. A professional will also use cockroach identification to select products that are known to be most effective.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Roaches & Keep Them Away
Once cockroaches get into your home, they're difficult to control. It is far better to deal with these pests long before they get inside. At Pestco Professional Pest, we don't just offer cockroach pest control in Beaumont to arrest roach infestations, we include perimeter pest control service as a part of our residential pest control plans.
Perimeter protection reduces cockroach activity in your perimeter (a key zone where pests congregate before they come inside) and helps to exclude cockroaches from your home. If you'd like to learn more, or you would like to schedule service, reach out to us. We're here to help.